Graduate School Requirements
- Baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from a regionally accredited college or university.
- GPA 3.0 for the undergraduate degree
- English proficiency for international students, minimum of 79 for TOEFL and 6.5 for IELTS. All teaching assistants for whom English is not a native language must pass an oral English proficiency test regardless of citizenship or visa status.
Check the Graduate School website for a complete list of requirements http://grad.uconn.edu/admissions/admission-requirements/
Admission to M.S. Program
- Must hold an accredited undergraduate degree in engineering or related field with a minimum GPA of 3.0
Admission to the Ph.D. Program
A M.S. degree in Environmental Engineering or related field is desired for admission to the Ph.D. program. Direct admission into the Ph.D. program with only a B.S. degree is possible with the following provisions:
- GPA of 3.5 or higher OR
- Demonstration of previous research experience
Students in the Ph.D. program that do not hold a previous M.S. degree may be awarded an M.S. during their studies after passing their qualifying exam.
Remedial courses for students with non-engineering background
Students with non-engineering degrees that are admitted to the MS program have to take the following courses, or demonstrate proficiency in:
- ENVE 3120 Fluid Mechanics
- MATH 2410Q Differential Equations
- Additional undergraduate ENVE courses (up to 3) as determined by the Graduate Admissions Committee
The remedial courses will NOT count towards the graduate degree.
All applications for graduate study at UConn must be submitted using our online application system. Visit the Graduate School website for additional details https://grad.uconn.edu/admissions/apply-to-uconn/
In general, the following documentation is required
- Official transcript of the undergraduate degree, including a copy of the title and the courses and grades. Translations have to be provided for transcripts from foreign institutions.
- Statement of purpose: indicate the type of research you wish to pursue, your expertise in that area and any particular advisor you wish to work with (not required).
- Three letters of recommendation from professors or recent employers.
- Graduate Record Examination scores are no longer required
- TOEFL/IELTS scores, if applicable
The deadline for applications to the M.S. and Ph.D. programs is January 1st for fall admissions and October 15th for spring admissions.